May 23, 2021

Ah, crap!

I haven’t gotten the chance to do a lot of professional work in comics but I did manage to do two jobs for Marvel back in the early nineties.

The first job I wasn’t so pleased with but, the second job I was passable.

I wound up liking the art a whole lot more and it turned out the penciller was somebody whose work was something of a favorite of mine for a long time so, it added to the thrill of doing the job. As things worked out the job came out decent (I’m not under the illusion I was hitting things out of the park on my second go round).

So, I got a chance to color a Marshall Rogers Daredevil story.

As things go it was a pretty special for me because I liked Daredevil (long before Frank Miller got ahold of him) and Marshall Rogers had just wowed me with a run on Batman that I was so taken with I went out and looked for the back issues and bought them (which was a pricey proposition at the time). Not a big thing for some but as a lifelong fan of comics it really was quite the charge.

A few years back I was at a con in New York (over at the Pennsylvania hotel) and lo and behold there was Marshall himself. I finally got a chance to meet him and I asked if he had any of those pages left lying around from that job because I had wanted to see if I could...

So, I started this in March of 2007 and since then Marshall died which sucks. A lot of comic greats of my youth are no longer with us.

I had a chance to talk to Marshall though and I was pleased to do so. I had wanted to get one of the original pages from the issue in question and Marshall apparently had someone who acted as his agent that he pointed me to but when I reached out there were no pages from the job to be had.

A few years later I did manage to pick up a page on ebay and I was really pleased with myself. I have been wanting for years to get that thing framed with the original comic and my check stub from Marvel which I think is lying around here somewhere but it’s just another thing that falls through the cracks.

I spend way too much of my time sleeping it seems.

No comments: